Your Ring Doorbell 2 is not picking up people in motion, and you have no idea why. You’ve tried adjusting the motion zones and increasing the sensitivity, but nothing seems to work.
Do you want to be able to fix your Ring Doorbell 2 so that it captures people in motion again? With our guide, you can learn how to troubleshoot common issues and get your doorbell working like new again.
In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to troubleshoot your Ring Doorbell 2. We will also include instructions on how to reset the motion sensor, make sure notifications are enabled, and more.
- Why is My Ring Doorbell 2 Motion Detection Not Working?
- How does the Ring Doorbell 2 Motion Detection work?
- How to Fix Ring Doorbell 2 Motion Detection Not Working - Troubleshooting Guide
- Make Sure Motion Alerts Are Enabled
- Set Your Motion Frequency to “Frequent”
- Make Sure There’s No Glass in Front of Your Camera
- Increase Your Motion Zones
- Disable Motion Schedules
- Reposition Your Mounting Angle
- Make Sure Your Notifications Are On
- Check Your Motion Sensitivity Settings
- Reset Your Ring Doorbell
- Update the Ring App
- Restart Your Phone
- Contact Ring Support
- What are the benefits of having motion detection on your Ring Doorbell 2?
- 1. Alerts when someone enters the view of your camera
- 2. Helps to deter burglars
- 3. Allows you to see who is at the door without having to look out the window
- 4. Allows you to monitor your home when you are not home
- 5. Allows you to see if someone is trying to steal your packages
- 6. Allows you to quickly capture footage of a crime if it occurs
- Other Motion Detection Problems or Issues and How to Fix Them
Why is My Ring Doorbell 2 Motion Detection Not Working?
The main cause of this issue is an outdated firmware version. When the Ring Doorbell 2 receives a software update, it is important to check if the firmware is also up to date. If the firmware is not up to date, the motion detection may not work.
Other causes of this issue can be incorrect sensitivity settings, obstruction, a blocked or dirty lens, lack of network connectivity, low battery levels, or even motion distance and sensitivity. It is important to troubleshoot the issue by checking all of these causes to identify the root of the problem.
How does the Ring Doorbell 2 Motion Detection work?
The Ring Doorbell 2’s motion detection feature uses advanced sensors to detect movement within a 30-foot radius of your home. This means that if any motion is detected, you’ll get an alert on your phone. To make sure that the motion detection works properly, you’ll need to enable it in the Ring app first.
Here are the steps for setting up and optimizing motion detection on your Ring Doorbell 2:
- Open the Ring app on your mobile device and tap on Menu or the three (3) lines on the top-left part of the app.
- Select the Doorbell you want to enable.
- Tap on Motion Settings and slide it to activate. (Note: The slider needs to turn green for it to be activated.)
- Customize your Motion Zones to the areas you want to monitor.
- Adjust the Motion Sensitivity to the level you want. Lower settings will detect smaller objects and animals, while higher settings will detect larger objects and people.
Once you’ve set up your motion detection correctly, you can rest assured that you’ll get alerts whenever any motion is detected within your Motion Zones.
How to Fix Ring Doorbell 2 Motion Detection Not Working – Troubleshooting Guide
Make Sure Motion Alerts Are Enabled
- Open the Ring app on your phone and make sure both Motion Alerts and Ring Alerts are enabled in the settings.
- Check to make sure that you have enabled the notifications feature on your phone.
- Adjust the motion sensitivity to respond to a smaller heat signature. To do this, go to “Zones and Range” in the app.
- Make sure that there are no active Motion Schedules that prevent your sensor from detecting movement. Check for a clock next to your Ring machine on the Ring app’s toolbar.
- Check that the Ring alerts and motion alerts controls are set to the blue “on” mode in the app.
- Disable the “Do Not Disturb” option on your phone to receive Motion Alerts.
Set Your Motion Frequency to “Frequent”
Setting the motion frequency to “Frequent” on the Ring Doorbell 2 can help fix the issue of motion detection not working. The Frequent setting can detect motion more consistently and quickly than the other settings and can help ensure that you are receiving motion alerts when necessary.
To change the motion frequency setting, follow the steps below:
- Access and launch Doorbell in the Ring app.
- Tap the gear icon in the upper right corner to access Settings.
- Select the Motion Settings option.
- Tap Advanced Settings.
- Tap Motion Frequency.
- Select Frequent.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your Ring Doorbell 2 is set to detect motion at the most frequent rate, improving the chances of receiving the necessary alerts.
Make Sure There’s No Glass in Front of Your Camera
If there’s glass in front of your Ring doorbell video camera, there are a few things you can do to ensure it is still able to detect motion properly. First, visually inspect the area around the doorbell to make sure that no objects are obscuring the motion sensors’ view. If there are objects that may be blocking the sensors’ view, consider relocating or cutting them to make room.
Next, check the motion sensitivity of your video doorbell by opening the Ring app and tapping Menu. After that, select the doorbell and choose Motion Settings Sensitivity. Adjust the slider to the right to get better sensitivity.
Additionally, you may need to disable the “People Only Mode” in the Ring application. To do this, select “Devices” in the top left of the application, pick the device that needs adjustment, select “Motion Settings,” choose “People Only Mode,” then toggle off the “People Only Mode.” Finally, save your changes.
If there are blind spots that your Ring doorbell is unable to detect, consider turning up the Motion Sensitivity so that it will detect even the smallest motions and send out a Motion Alert.
Increase Your Motion Zones
If your Ring Doorbell 2 motion detection is not working, one way to fix this is by increasing the motion zones. To do this, you will need to launch the Ring app and select your doorbell. Then, tap “Motion Settings” and “Select Zones and Ranges” to modify your motion zones.
Make sure that all of your motion zones are enabled and that the range is as large as possible. After that, save the changes and close the app. Additionally, you can enable Ring’s Advanced Motion Detection from the Advanced Settings page in the Ring app.
Once that is done, you can follow these steps to configure your doorbell’s motion zones: access the Ring app, tap the Options (three-line) icon, select Devices, tap your Ring doorbell device, tap Motion Settings, tap Edit Zones, select or create a motion zone, resize the motion zone and tap Done.
You can create up to three motion zones. Lastly, you can adjust the motion sensitivity and other motion settings in the Ring app to ensure that you are only alerted to a movement relevant to your home security.
Disable Motion Schedules
To disable motion schedules for the Ring Doorbell 2, you can follow these simple steps:
- Open the Ring App on your phone and select your Ring device.
- Tap on the ‘Motion Settings’ tab.
- Select ‘Motion Schedules’ and deselect any active motion schedules.
- You should see a clock icon disappear from the device dashboard on the app.
- Turn off ‘Do Not Disturb’ on your phone or device in order to receive motion alerts.
- Go to the settings menu and look for either ‘motion detection’ or ‘sensitivity’.
- Adjust the sensitivity according to your preferences.
- Make sure to save all changes.
By following these steps, you have successfully disabled all motion schedules for your Ring Doorbell 2, allowing it to detect motion and send you alerts.
Reposition Your Mounting Angle
Positioning the mounting angle of a Ring Doorbell 2 can be an effective solution to fix a motion detection problem. This is because the correct angle allows the camera to detect motion accurately at the right time. For example, if the doorbell is placed too high, it may overlook people climbing up the staircase.
To fix this issue, one could angle the doorbell downwards with a chip, screw, or block, allowing it to detect motion from all angles. Furthermore, adjusting the motion zone slider or toggling zones on or off in the Ring app can also help to improve motion detection.
Make Sure Your Notifications Are On
If you’re experiencing the Ring Doorbell 2 motion detection problem and are not receiving notifications when motion is detected, here’s how to make sure your notifications are enabled:
- Open the Ring app and check the settings to make sure that Motion Alerts and Ring Alerts are both turned on.
- Make sure the “Do Not Disturb” option is turned off so that you can receive Motion Alerts.
- Check the Ring app to extend the sensitivity of the device so that it will respond to a smaller heat signature.
- Soft reset your phone to fix any glitches causing you to not receive Motion Alerts.
- Check your Ring camera’s connection to Wi-Fi to make sure it is connected and has a strong signal.
- Lastly, make sure there isn’t an active Motion Schedule that is preventing you from receiving notifications.
Check Your Motion Sensitivity Settings
How can I check my motion sensitivity settings for the Ring Doorbell 2? [Step-by-step instructions]
- Head to the settings menu and look for either “Motion Detection” or “Sensitivity.” Slide the slider to the right to make it more sensitive, or to the left to make it less sensitive.
- Double-check that none of the sensors are blocked by any objects that could cause an obstruction.
- Open the Ring app and tap the three lines on the top left of the screen. Select your video doorbell, then choose “Motion Settings Sensitivity.” Drag the slider to your desired level.
- Make sure Do Not Disturb is off by going to the Ring app and tapping the Options (three-line) icon and selecting Devices. Tap your Ring doorbell device, then tap Motion Settings and then Motion Sensitivity. Use the slider to adjust the sensitivity to the degree you choose and then Save.
- Go to your Video Doorbell, then tap the gear symbol in the top, right corner to go to Settings. Select Motion Settings and configure Motion Zones. Below Motion Zones, you’ll also see Motion Sensitivity. Adjust the slider further to the left, your camera will be less sensitive, and further to the right, it will be more sensitive.
- Lastly, you can turn on Smart Alerts, which uses AI detection to determine the cause of your Motion Alerts.
Reset Your Ring Doorbell
- Remove the Ring Doorbell from its attachment to the wall.
- Press and hold the orange button (reset button) for 15 seconds.
- The device’s LED indicator should flash, signaling that it’s trying to establish connections.
- If you are unable to reset the doorbell through the app, you can also try resetting it by removing the battery and then reinserting it.
Update the Ring App
Updating the Ring app can help fix Ring Doorbell 2 motion detection not working by addressing bugs, and security issues, adding new features and improving the performance of the device. The version of the Ring app can become outdated, which can cause motion alerts to stop working, so it’s important to check the app store for available updates.
Additionally, users can check the firmware version of their Ring Doorbell 2 to ensure that it is updated. This process can be done through the device settings tab on the Ring app. If an update is available, the Update button will appear and the firmware can be updated.
Restart Your Phone
Restarting your phone may help fix Ring Doorbell 2 motion detection not working. To do this, soft reset your phone by following the directions provided by your phone’s manufacturer. Once this is done, check to see if you are receiving motion alerts again.
Additionally, ensure that your Ring Doorbell is connected to a good WiFi network, and then reset your Ring app. If all else fails, try configuring the doorbell on a different mobile device or reach out to Ring for help.
Contact Ring Support
If your Ring Doorbell 2 motion detection isn’t working, the first thing you should do is check your internet connection and motion settings. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, it’s a good idea to investigate the wiring, or even seek the help of a licensed electrician. If none of these solutions work, your best bet is to contact Ring support.
What are the benefits of having motion detection on your Ring Doorbell 2?
1. Alerts when someone enters the view of your camera
Having motion detection on the Ring Doorbell 2 helps with doorbell alerting by allowing users to configure specific motion zones for their doorbell’s motion detector to monitor and adjust the sensitivity of the motion sensor. This allows them to avoid accidental motion triggers and focus solely on real people coming to their door.
Additionally, the Ring Doorbell 2 enables users to create custom motion zones within the field of view of the device’s camera, so they can be alerted to the most relevant motion outside their front door and adjust the angle of the camera if necessary to ensure more accurate motion detection.
2. Helps to deter burglars
Having motion detection on the Ring Doorbell 2 is an invaluable asset to any home security system. It can act as an extra layer of protection by alerting users to any suspicious activity around their homes. Burglars are less likely to break into a house that is equipped with motion detection, as they know they will likely be detected and reported.
Furthermore, the motion detection feature can also pick up on any movement within its vicinity, making it more difficult for burglars to go unnoticed. This is especially useful if you live on a busy street and need to adjust the sensitivity to avoid false alarms from cars or pedestrians.
With the Ring Doorbell 2, you can customize the motion detection zones to focus on the most important areas and give you the peace of mind of knowing your home is always protected.
3. Allows you to see who is at the door without having to look out the window
Having motion detection on the Ring Doorbell 2 allows you to see who is at the door without having to look out the window. By setting up motion zones, you can customize the motion detector to monitor a designated area. This way, you will only be alerted to real people coming to your door and you won’t be bombarded with false alerts.
4. Allows you to monitor your home when you are not home
Having motion detection on the Ring Doorbell 2 can be a great help when it comes to monitoring your home when you are not around. With this feature, you can set up motion zones in areas you want to be notified about, and the motion sensor will detect any activity in that area. It will then send you a notification, so you can check in and see what’s going on.
This way, you’ll always stay on top of potential threats and respond in real time, even when you’re away from home. Furthermore, the motion sensor can act as a deterrent, as burglars may think twice before breaking into a house with a motion detection system.
All in all, motion detection can be a great way to protect your home and keep an eye out for any suspicious activity.
5. Allows you to see if someone is trying to steal your packages
Having motion detection on the Ring Doorbell 2 can help protect against package theft by giving the homeowner real-time alerts when there is any motion detected within the designated motion zone. This way, they can immediately be aware of any suspicious activity and take necessary action.
This feature also allows the homeowner to specify the motion zone, so they can focus on the most important areas around the house, like the spot where packages are usually delivered. With the Ring Doorbell 2’s motion detection, homeowners can stay on top of potential threats and keep their homes secure.
6. Allows you to quickly capture footage of a crime if it occurs
Having motion detection on the Ring Doorbell 2 helps you capture footage of a crime by utilizing its built-in motion sensor. The sensor is set to detect any motion within a designated area, thereby triggering an alert on your phone, smart speaker, or Ring Chime.
You can customize the settings to focus on specific areas, such as where valuables are stored so that you are alerted to any suspicious activity. To maximize the motion detection capabilities of your Ring Doorbell 2, here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Ring app on your device and navigate to the motion settings section.
- Turn on the motion alerts and adjust the sensitivity to ensure that the device responds to a smaller heat signature.
- Select the areas of motion you want it to detect and alert you to.
- Increase the motion detection distance, if necessary, to ensure you get alerts from further away.
- If needed, enable night vision on the device so that it can detect motion even in low-light conditions.
By following these steps, you can be sure that your Ring Doorbell 2 will capture footage of a crime if it happens in your vicinity.
Other Motion Detection Problems or Issues and How to Fix Them
Not Getting Any Motion Detected at All
Possible causes of no motion detection at all for motion detection problems or issues could be a sensitivity setting that is set too low or off, outdated firmware, no power to the sensor, or the bell not being turned on. It could also be a problem with the motion sensors themselves, such as being out of order or having power issues. Lastly, the motion may not be on, and it needs to be enabled in the app.
Motion Detection is Triggered Too Much
The symptoms of motion detection being triggered too often include false motion alerts, motion alerts for irrelevant movements, and motion alerts for consistent motion outside the door.
To fix this, it is recommended to adjust the motion detection sensitivity, motion zones, and distance, as well as enable night vision and adjust motion frequency settings.
The motion sensitivity can be adjusted by going to the Settings menu, looking for either “motion detection” or “sensitivity” and sliding the slider to the right to make it more sensitive or to the left to make it less sensitive.
The motion frequency can be adjusted from within the Ring app, by tapping the Options (three-line) icon and selecting Devices, tapping the Ring doorbell device, tapping Motion Settings, tapping Advanced Settings, and tapping Motion Frequency, and then selecting Frequently, Regularly, or Periodically.
Finally, the Smart Alerts settings can be adjusted to reduce the frequency of motion alerts, with options of Light, Standard, and Frequent.
Does Not Capture People in Motion
Motion Alerts can sometimes be missed due to the angle or location of the doorbell being placed. Angled doors, walkways, and walls that obscure large parts of the recording area can all make it harder for the doorbell to pick up on motion.
Corners, where it’s hard to see people coming, can cause blind spots that your Ring doorbell can’t pick up on.
To fix this, you can adjust the Motion Sensitivity so that it will respond to smaller heat signatures and even use a wedge to angle the doorbell downwards slightly.
In addition, the Ring doorbell may have difficulty detecting motion due to low light conditions. To fix this, it might be helpful to adjust the sensitivity and distance or even enable night vision on the device. For people who only want to be alerted when human beings come to their door, Ring offers Smart Alerts that will only sound when a real human being enters the motion zone.
What is the Ring Doorbell 2 Motion Detection?
The Ring Doorbell 2 is an advanced home security system that features a motion detection feature. This feature uses advanced sensors to detect any movement in its vicinity and alert the user. It can also record a video clip of the activity and send a notification to the user’s mobile device. The motion detection feature can be customized to specific areas, or “zones,” to focus on the most important parts of the home. This way, users can stay on top of potential threats in real time, which is an effective deterrent for burglars.
Why is my Ring doorbell not alerting me with motion?
One of the primary reasons why your Ring doorbell is not alerting you of motion is because the Motion Alerts are turned off. It is also possible that your Ring camera is not connected to the Wi-Fi network, or that your motion settings are not properly adjusted. Additionally, there might be obstructions in the path of the camera preventing it from detecting motion.
When your Ring doorbell is not alerting you with motion, you will not receive any push notifications notifying you when someone is near your front door. You will also not be able to take advantage of any of the features that require motion detection, such as the recording and sharing of videos.
How do you reset the motion sensor on a Ring doorbell?
To reset the motion sensor on your Ring doorbell, you’ll need to perform a hard reset. First, locate the reset button, which is usually located on the back of the device. Use a paperclip to press and hold the reset button until the sensor stops blinking. Next, remove and replace the battery.
Finally, for the contact sensor, remove the cover and battery, press and hold the tamper button, and then insert the battery. Release the tamper button when the light stops flashing. Once the reset is completed, adjust the motion zone slider or toggle zones on or off in the Ring app.
Does the Ring only record when motion is detected?
Yes, Ring only records when motion is detected or when the doorbell is pressed. The people-only setting is activated when your Ring doorbell does not record at night due to fewer guest visits in the evening. You can disable this condition in the Ring application by following the steps in the reference above.
Additionally, Ring offers Smart Alerts that sound only when a real human being enters a motion zone. This setting lets you mute alerts when your Ring doorbell detects inanimate objects.
The Ring doorbell uses passive infrared (PIR) technology to detect motion, so if there are any obstacles in the camera’s way, the Motion Alerts will not work properly.
Does The Ring Doorbell 2 Have A Motion Sensor?
Yes, the Ring Doorbell 2 has a motion sensor that uses sensors to detect any movement within its vicinity. It will then send a notification to you alerting you of any suspicious activity. You can even customize the motion detection to specific areas and set up motion detection zones to stay in the loop. This is an incredibly useful feature for home security and will be a major deterrent for burglars.