Home security is paramount in today’s world and I rely heavily on my Blink doorbell to keep me updated.
However, when it stops sending notifications, it feels as if my safety shield has been compromised.
In this post, I’ll take you through some simple steps to troubleshoot and fix this issue. So, if you’ve been missing out on those important alerts from your Blink doorbell, this guide is for you.
Let’s reclaim your peace of mind, one notification at a time.
Why is My Blink Video Doorbell Not Sending Notifications?
The inability of your Blink doorbell to send notifications can be attributed to several factors.
Some of these factors could include the smartphone or mobile device you are using, the data settings on your phone, the alarm settings on the Blink app itself, or even the sensor within the device.
Connectivity issues, improper notification or sensitivity settings, issues with the Blink application, and low power supply, to name a few, can often trigger these problems.
If your system has been erroneously turned off or incorrectly set up, tackling these potential culprits can help resolve any issues and restore your smart home’s security.
Troubleshooting Tips to Regain Blink Doorbell Notifications
Enable Motion Detection on Blink Doorbell Cam
One common oversight that may lead to no motion notifications is having the motion detection feature on your Blink Doorbell Camera deactivated. This could potentially happen if the motion sensor within the device is turned off. Follow these steps to enable it manually:
- Open the Blink Home Monitor app on your mobile device.
- Locate your doorbell camera on the home screen which is equipped with a motion sensor.
- Look for the running man icon to the right of your Doorbell’s name; this symbolizes motion detection.
- If Motion Detection is active, the running man icon will be blue. If it’s gray, tap on the Device Settings icon.
- Under the device settings, select “Motion Settings,” where you can adjust the motion detection sensitivity settings of your Blink camera.
- Toggle “Motion Detection” on, also remember, the higher you set the motion detection sensitivity, the more responsive the camera will be to movements.
- The running man should now turn blue, indicating that your Motion Detection is enabled, giving your Blink Doorbell the capability of precisely measuring motion detection sensitivity.
Ensure that your Blink system is armed on the home screen to keep the Motion Detection enabled.
Remember, if you have decreased the sensitivity or changed the motion zone and detection range, you won’t be able to receive notifications.
Checking and Updating the Blink App
Both Android and iOS users should take responsibility for regularly updating this camera app to ensure optimal performance and enhanced security.
This simple action can be one of the initial fixes for potential app problems.
For iOS users:
- Open the ‘Settings’ on your iOS device.
- Locate and select ‘General.’
- Select ‘Software Update.’ If an update is available, complete it by following the prompts.
- Open the App Store.
- Tap on your profile icon.
- Under the “Pending Updates” section, search for Blink.
- If an update for Blink is available, select ‘Update.’
For Android users:
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Tap on the menu icon (displayed as three horizontal lines).
- Select ‘My Apps & Games.’
- Look for the Blink app under your list of installed applications.
- If an update is available, tap the ‘Update’ button.
Failure to maintain the most recent versions of the Blink camera app can invoke various issues from notification glitches to live view problems and even authentication errors.
Regularly applying these updates can be amongst the key fixes that can quickly eliminate these issues.
Adjusting the Notification Settings
Correctly adjusting the notification settings on your Blink app and mobile device is crucial in receiving notifications.
To ensure you are receiving the push notifications and motion alert notifications you need, follow these steps:
Adjusting Blink App Settings:
- Open the Blink app.
- Select the gear icon at the bottom of the screen to open your settings.
- Tap on “Notification Options.”
- Verify that the “Push Notifications” toggle is turned on for the events you want your phone to ring for.
Allow Blink Notifications on your Mobile Device:
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Go to Notifications (Notification Center on Android devices).
- Scroll and locate the Blink app.
- Ensure the “Show Notifications” is toggled ON.
You can customize the Notifications with custom sound alerts and banners from the same settings tab. Keep in mind, that Android devices may prevent apps from sending notifications when running in the background.
So, make sure you don’t have your phone on Do Not Disturb and that your phone’s settings allow push notifications from the Blink app.
This step can resolve many issues related to notification settings inconsistencies on your device.
Remember that the Blink notifications consist of security alerts and motion detection events!
Troubleshooting the Mobile Device
If you’ve tried the above steps without success, it’s possible the issue might be with your mobile device not correctly processing the alert.
Sometimes, the underlying problem might be with the smartphone itself, and applying certain fixes could resolve the problem.
Soft Reset/Reboot: This can be performed by navigating to your smartphone’s settings. Here you would follow the path: Settings > General > Power > Restart. This is, in essence, how you reboot your device.
Hard Reset: To perform a hard reset, press and hold the power button on your device for five seconds. An interactive screen will display “Slide to power off,” (iPhone) or “Restart” (Android). Select to restart your phone.
Both methods effectively reboot your device and help with software and notification issues.
Particularly with older software versions, notifications can sometimes be partially suppressed by different factors, so a simple software reboot or other smartphone fixes could greatly help.
If your mobile is running low on charge, plug it in while it restarts.
Another troubleshooting method is reinstalling the app. For this, you need to delete the Blink app from your phone and download it again from your device’s app store (Google Play Store for Android and Apple App Store for iOS).
After reinstalling, log into your Blink account.
Remember, reinstalling the application will reset personalized app settings, and you’ll need to set those again.
However, all your cloud video clips and other account preferences won’t be affected.
Even after going through all these fixes, if you still can’t get the issue to settle, removing and re-adding the Blink app on your device might be the solution.
Rechecking the Blink Doorbell Camera and Motion Settings
The settings within the Blink app can affect your doorbell’s ability to detect motion and send notifications.
Particularly, the motion sensor and motion detection sensitivity settings are key. Here is how you can recheck and adjust these settings.
Check the Motion Detection Sensitivity settings:
- Open the Blink app and find your Blink Doorbell equipped with a motion sensor.
- Tap the Device Settings icon.
- Select “Motion Settings.”
- Tap “Motion Sensitivity.”
- Move the slider toward the right to increase your doorbell’s motion detection sensitivity, thus enhancing its responsiveness to movements.
Adjust the Motion Zones settings:
This setting allows you to tailor specific zones for advanced motion detection.
- Select “Motion Zones” from the “Motion Settings” screen.
- Ensure that any areas you want enhanced motion detection in aren’t grayed out. If they are, tap them again to activate them.
- Press “Done” to save your changes and activate the new motion detection sensitivity settings.
Check the IR, Night Vision, and Activity Zone settings:
Ensure all these possibilities are correctly configured in the settings to avoid preventing your doorbell from detecting motion or sending motion notifications.
By incorporating the above adjustments, you could diagnose and rectify the issues with your Blink camera’s motion sensor and motion detection sensitivity settings.
In some instances, you must press the doorbell button to update any new settings changes or turn on Motion Detection.
Remember, if the button isn’t pressed, your doorbell checks in once every 24 hours to automatically download any new settings changes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do Blink Notifications Stop Working Even After Troubleshooting?
There might be several reasons why your Blink notifications are still not working even after troubleshooting. Here’s a rundown of a few possible causes:
- Limited System Resources: Your phone OS might prioritize certain apps over others, leading to inconsistent notifications. Clearing out unnecessary apps could help free up more resources for the Blink app.
- WiFi Signal Strength: Your Smart Doorbell requires a reliable WiFi connection to transmit notifications consistently. If the device is too far from the router or if there are too many obstructions, it can affect signal strength.
- Power Level: If the battery level in your Blink device is low, it might fail to send notifications. Always ensure your devices are properly powered or charged.
- App Compatibility: Occasionally, newer updates to the Blink application may not be compatible with older versions of phone firmware, leading to notification issues. Regular system updates alongside app updates can aid in resolving this issue.
- Changes to Access Rights: If Blink’s access has been altered on your phone, it could result in notification problems. You should regularly check your phone’s settings to ensure Blink has all necessary permissions.
Remember, if your issue persists despite the troubleshooting steps, it’s recommended to contact Blink support for further assistance.
Can I Use the Blink Video Doorbell Camera System Without a Subscription?
Yes, you can use the Blink Video Doorbell camera system without a subscription. With the Blink camera app system purchase, you receive a basic subscription plan offering 2 hours (or 7,200 seconds) of free cloud storage. This plan allows you to view, share, and download clips from the past week, alongside features like motion and audio alerts and live camera view.
However, should you require more storage and features, consider opting for paid subscriptions like the Blink Extended Plan or the Blink Total Home Plan.
They offer up to 60,000 seconds of motion video clips and 30,000 photos in cloud storage, with benefits such as on-demand Live View, person detection, Amazon Alexa and IFTTT integration, and linking up to five cameras on one account.
Furthermore, specific Blink camera models, such as the Blink Doorbell, Blink Mini, Blink Outdoor Camera, and Blink Indoor Camera Gen 2, come with a slot for a USB drive or SD card.
This allows for external footage storage without a need for the Blink subscription plan. However, to utilize this feature, a Sync Module 2 is a must-have.
In summary, while it’s indeed feasible to use the Blink Video Doorbell camera app system without a subscription, upscaling to a subscription plan can offer enhanced functionality and additional storage.
Can Blink Notify Multiple Phones?
Yes, Blink can indeed send notifications to multiple phones. This feature makes Blink an ideal security solution for families, shared homes, or homes with multiple occupants. The Blink App allows you to share access with up to 10 different accounts.
Each account is then able to monitor activities in the home and receive real-time push notifications and motion alert notifications whenever motion or other activity is detected.
How to setup multiple phones:
- Download the Blink Home Monitor app on the additional phone and create a new account.
- From the primary Blink account, select the system settings tab (gear icon).
- Verify that the “Push Notifications” toggle is turned on to ensure you can receive alerts.
- Tap on “Manage Account” and then “Share.”
- Under “Share” you’ll see an option to “Add a Blink User.” Tapping this will prompt you to enter the email address of the new account you wish to share access with.
- An invitation to access the Blink system will then be sent to the email of the new user.
- Once they accept the invitation and enable the correct settings on their device, they will be able to monitor the system and receive notifications on their device.
Bear in mind that the maximum cap for shared users is 10 accounts, including the primary account.
This means you can share access with up to 9 additional users. Each of these accounts will have the ability to view and control live camera feeds, and saved clips, and receive push notifications.
Sharing access with multiple users allows you to extend the reach of your system’s notifications, ensuring that all necessary parties get alerted when an event arises.
Remember, enabling or disabling the push notifications you will receive from Blink is really up to you, as they are manageable.
Why is my Blink doorbell not notifying me of motion?
If your Blink Doorbell Camera is not sending motion notifications, several factors could be at play:
- Motion detection is disabled: You may have unknowingly turned off motion detection or it may have been deactivated during setup. You can enable this feature by navigating to the Motion Settings within the Blink app and toggling on Motion Detection.
- Low sensitivity settings: Your doorbell’s motion sensitivity may be configured to a lower level, causing it to miss out on notifying you about detected motion. Increasing motion sensitivity in your Blink app settings can resolve this issue.
- Blocked motion zones: If you have assigned specific zones for motion detection and these areas are blocked, you will not receive motion alerts. Make sure these zones are adequately set to cover all the areas you’d like monitored.
- Connectivity problems: Poor WiFi signal strength or intermittent connectivity issues can disrupt the communication between your Blink Doorbell and your mobile device, preventing motion notifications from being successfully sent.
- Notification permissions: Your mobile device settings could be configured to prevent the Blink app from sending notifications. Ensure that the Blink app has permission to send notifications through your device settings.
- Outdated app or firmware version: It’s crucial to keep both your mobile device’s operating system and the Blink app updated to the latest version. Outdated versions can lead to several operational glitches, including inconsistent notifications.
By troubleshooting these potential causes, you can restore your Blink Doorbell’s ability to send motion notifications.
If the problem persists despite these steps, it might be helpful to contact Blink’s customer support for additional assistance.