With the rise of smart homes, it’s no surprise that video doorbells have become a popular addition to the modern household. And when it comes to video doorbells, Ring is a brand that has taken the market by storm. But with so many options available, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one for your home.
That’s where we come in. We’ve done the research, tested the products, and compiled a list of the top 7 Ring Video Doorbells.
So whether you’re a tech-savvy homeowner or a newbie to the world of security cameras, we’ve got you covered.
Let’s dive in and find the perfect Ring Doorbell for your home!
- Our Pick of the Best Ring video doorbell cameras to Buy: Comprehensive Review
- 1. Ring Video Doorbell 4: Our overall Best Ring video doorbell for apartments
- 2. Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen): Best Value for Your Money
- 3. Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2: Best Stylish Ring Doorbell
- 4. Ring Video Doorbell Elite: Best for new construction
- 5. Ring Video Doorbell Wired: Best affordable Ring doorbell camera
- 6. Ring Peephole Cam
- 7. Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus
- Ring Video doorbell camera Comparison Table
- Do You Need The Ring Chime For Your Ring Doorbell?
- What's the difference between a Ring Doorbell and a Ring Doorbell with a chime?
- What should you consider when choosing a Ring video doorbell?
- How we test Ring video doorbells
- Conclusion: Which version or model of the ring video doorbells is best?
- Which Ring Doorbell is Best for Apartments?
- What kind of motion-sensing technology does Ring use?
- What is a Ring Protect subscription?
- How does Ring protect my privacy?
- Will my wired Ring doorbell still work if the power goes out?
- Does Ring Doorbell have a monthly fee?
- Which is better Ring Doorbell or Ring Doorbell 2?
- How long does a Ring doorbell battery last?
- What is the best battery-powered ring doorbell to buy?
Our Pick of the Best Ring video doorbell cameras to Buy: Comprehensive Review
1. Ring Video Doorbell 4: Our overall Best Ring video doorbell for apartments
The Ring Video Doorbell 4 is a top contender for the best Ring video doorbell camera, especially for apartments. It offers advanced features without breaking the bank, making it a great choice for those on a budget.
One of the standout features of the Ring Video Doorbell 4 is its easy installation process. It can be set up in either a battery-powered or wired setup, and if you choose the latter, it works with your existing doorbell chime.
The camera quality is also impressive, with a 1080p resolution and a wide 160-degree field of view. The color pre-roll function is another great feature that sets the Ring Video Doorbell 4 apart from other cameras.
It saves up to four seconds of color video footage before motion detection is triggered, ensuring that you never miss an important event.
- Easy installation
- Clear video quality
- Feature-filled app
- No free video storage
- No Google Assistant support
In comparison to other Ring video doorbells, the Ring Video Doorbell 4 is a great value for the price. While it may not have all the advanced features of the Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2, it still offers a high-quality camera and useful features that make it a top choice for apartments and homes alike.
Overall, the Ring Video Doorbell 4 is a reliable and affordable option for anyone looking to enhance their home security.
2. Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen): Best Value for Your Money
The Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen) is undoubtedly one of the best Ring Video Doorbell cameras available in the market today. It comes packed with features that make it difficult to beat the price. The device offers crisp 1080p video quality, which is more than enough for most users.
Its Quick Replies feature is a standout, allowing users to play pre-recorded messages when they are too busy to answer the door. The 3D Motion Detection feature offers more precise motion alerts, which is a great addition to the device.
The Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen) is also easy to install, and its hardwired option means that you don’t have to worry about recharging a battery.
It is compatible with Alexa, which allows users to see, hear, and speak to visitors using their Echo devices. The device also has a well-rounded design that requires no maintenance, making it a great investment in the long run.
- Records in 1080p HD with a relatively crisp and clean picture
- Improved camera design from earlier models with the picture filling the whole screen
- Allows for drawing a monitoring zone and enabling people-only mode to limit alerts
- Responsive and can load live views from the doorbell in seconds
- Can be powered by a rechargeable battery or hardwired to your existing doorbell
- Affordable price
- Lacks high dynamic range (HDR) resulting in blown-out shadows and highlights
- Problems with adjusting the brightness of the video
- Only offers people alerts and not specific alerts for vehicles, animals, and packages
In conclusion, the Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen) is an excellent choice for anyone looking to buy a video doorbell camera. Its low monthly costs and top-notch performance make it a strong contender in the market.
With its impressive features and easy installation process, it is undoubtedly one of the best Ring Video Doorbell cameras out there.
3. Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2: Best Stylish Ring Doorbell
The Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 is undoubtedly one of the best Ring video doorbell cameras on the market today. Not only does it offer a convenient hardwired option, but it also provides a plug-in adaptor, ensuring that you never have to worry about battery recharging.
With its crisp 1536p video quality, you can be sure that you are getting your money’s worth. The Quick Replies feature is especially useful, allowing you to play pre-recorded messages when you are too busy to answer the door.
Moreover, the 3D Motion Detection feature provides precise motion alerts, ensuring that you never miss a visitor. This well-rounded Ring doorbell camera can carry on working without any maintenance required, making it a reliable and low-maintenance option.
The Video Doorbell Pro 2 has an excellent field of view and video quality that is customizable for notifications and recording zones. Its speedy performance is noteworthy, whether that’s sending alerts to your phone or smart speaker when someone rings the bell or pulling up the live feed from the Ring app on a phone.
- 3D Motion Detection allows for more precise motion detection alerts
- Enhanced Head-to-Toe HD+ Video provides a clear image of visitors
- Audio+ with noise cancellation and two-way audio allows for easy communication with visitors
- Bird’s Eye View provides an aerial map view of motion events in front of the doorbell
- Night Vision allows for monitoring even in the dark
- Alexa Greetings enables visitors to leave messages and receive specific instructions
- Ultra-slim design adds a sleek look to the home
- Comes with a Plug-In Adapter for easy installation
- Can be integrated with other Ring products for a complete home security and automation system
- Requires being wired into an existing power supply, making it unsuitable for renters who cannot modify their homes
- More expensive than other Ring doorbells such as the Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation) and Ring Video Doorbell Wired
- Installation requires some DIY knowledge or a professional installer
Overall, the Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 is a smart investment that offers plenty of features and convenience for its price. Its high-quality video, customizable features, and reliable performance make it one of the best Ring video doorbell cameras available in the market.
4. Ring Video Doorbell Elite: Best for new construction
The Ring Video Doorbell Elite is undoubtedly the best video doorbell camera for new construction. This device comes with a Power over Ethernet (PoE) feature that allows for easy installation during the construction of a new home.
This means that the doorbell can be seamlessly integrated into the home’s electrical systems, providing a more secure and reliable connection.
The installation process of the Ring Video Doorbell Elite differs from other Ring doorbell models, as it requires a professional installation. This ensures that the Elite model is installed correctly and is functioning properly.
The installation process involves running a power source to the doorbell and connecting it to an Ethernet cable. While this may be more involved than other Ring doorbell models, the end result is a high-quality and reliable doorbell camera that is perfect for new construction projects.
In terms of video quality, the Ring Video Doorbell Elite boasts a 1080p HD camera with color night vision, which ensures that you can see everything clearly, even in low-light conditions. The field of view is also impressive, with a 160° horizontal and 90° vertical view, providing a wider coverage area.
The device is weather-resistant, making it suitable for use in extreme temperatures, ranging from -5°F to 120°F. It also comes with a one-year warranty on parts, including theft detection, which gives you peace of mind knowing that your investment is protected.
The Ring Video Doorbell Elite also offers smart home integration with Alexa, allowing for hands-free voice control. And with the 50-foot and 3-foot long ethernet cables included, installation is a breeze.
Pros of Ring Video Doorbell Elite:
- Perfect for new construction or professional installs
- Get notified when someone approaches your door
- Securely flush-mounted
- Keep an eye on your house from wherever you are
- Works with Alexa for added convenience
Cons of Ring Video Doorbell Elite:
- Relatively expensive and Not recommended for those on a budget or looking for a good value
Overall, the Ring Video Doorbell Elite is the best video doorbell camera for new construction, providing seamless integration into the home’s electrical systems, excellent video quality, wider coverage, weather-resistant, smart home integration, and warranty protection.
Its Power over Ethernet (PoE) feature makes it stand out from other Ring doorbell models, which is ideal for new construction or professional installs.
Therefore, if you are building a new home, the Ring Video Doorbell Elite is the perfect device to ensure optimal security and convenience.
5. Ring Video Doorbell Wired: Best affordable Ring doorbell camera
The Ring Video Doorbell Wired is one of the best Ring video doorbell cameras for homeowners who want to enhance their home security without breaking the bank.
Despite being one of the cheapest options available, it offers advanced features such as speedy load times, solid video quality, and easy installation.
One of the advantages of the Ring Video Doorbell Wired is its affordability. At only $60, it is an accessible option for those on a budget, making it an ideal choice for homeowners who want to improve their home security without spending a fortune.
Moreover, its advanced features make it stand out from the competition. The speedy load times and solid video quality are essential for capturing clear footage of any visitors or intruders.
To add to this, it has an easy installation process, which means that homeowners can set it up themselves without the need for professional help.
Although it requires a wired connection, which may be inconvenient for those without an existing wired doorbell, it is still an excellent investment for homeowners looking for a smart home security device.
- Records in 1080p HD with a relatively crisp and clear picture quality
- Improved camera design that fills the whole screen
- Allows for drawing monitoring zones and enabling people-only mode to limit alerts
- Responsive with fast-loading live views from the doorbell
- Offers all the features of the original Pro model at a lower price point
- Lacks high dynamic range (HDR) and may have problems adjusting the brightness of the video
- Does not support wired internal chimes
- Misses out on colour night vision offered by more expensive models
In conclusion, the Ring Video Doorbell Wired is one of the best Ring video doorbell cameras available due to its affordability, advanced features, and easy installation process. Homeowners who want to enhance their home security without breaking the bank should consider this device as a reliable and effective option.
6. Ring Peephole Cam
The Ring Peephole Cam is a great option for homeowners who are looking for a video doorbell camera. With its compact design, it can fit right over your peephole and capture visitors with its HD video quality.
The device also features motion detection and two-way audio, allowing you to communicate with visitors even when you’re not at home.
One of the pros of the Ring Peephole Cam is its easy installation process. The device is battery-operated and rechargeable, and it can be connected to the Ring—Always Home app via Wi-Fi.
Also, it is compatible with Alexa, making it even more convenient for homeowners who already use Amazon’s smart assistant.
However, there are also some cons to consider. The Ring Peephole Cam requires a peephole, so if you don’t have one installed, you’ll need to install it first. Additionally, the device has a limited field of view, which means that it may not capture all visitors.
- Easy and fast installation
- Knock-sensing feature
- High-quality 1080p video footage
- Two-way audio
- Night vision
- A good alternative for those who can’t install a traditional doorbell camera
- Works with Amazon Alexa and some smart door locks
- No Google Assistant support
- Privacy zones don’t prevent recordings
- The camera moves with the door, giving odd footage and preventing monitoring while the door is open
- Monthly subscription plans cost extra for the Ring Protect plan
Overall, the Ring Peephole Cam is a practical and convenient device for homeowners who are looking for a video doorbell camera. It has many useful features and is easy to install.
However, it’s important to keep in mind its limitations, such as the need for a peephole and its limited field of view. If you already have a peephole and are looking for a simple and effective way to monitor visitors, the Ring Peephole Cam is definitely worth considering.
7. Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus
The Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus is undoubtedly one of the best video doorbell cameras on the market. Its WiFi connectivity, temperature range, power source, video quality, audio clarity, night vision, and cloud storage make it a top contender for anyone looking to upgrade their home security.
With the ability to connect to both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, the Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus offers fast and reliable WiFi connectivity, ensuring that users receive immediate notifications in case of a home intrusion.
Moreover, it can withstand extreme weather conditions, working in temperatures ranging from negative five to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, making it perfect for those living in harsh climates.
The Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus is also easy to install and use. It can be powered by a battery, eliminating the need for professional installation, and its high-quality video footage and audio clarity allow users to see and communicate with their guests clearly. Additionally, its night vision and cloud storage capabilities ensure that users can monitor their property 24/7, even in low-light conditions.
While the Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus lacks artificial intelligence, it is still a great option for those looking to enhance their home security. In a bit, the Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus offers a combination of features that make it one of the best video doorbell cameras in the market today.
- Works with both 2.4 or 5 Ghz networks for faster connectivity
- Temperature range from negative five to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, making it suitable for most climates
- Can be powered by a battery, making installation easier and cheaper
- Video footage quality is in 1080p HD with a wide 160-degree field of view
- Equipped with speakers and a microphone for two-way communication
- Night vision is impressive, even in black and white
- Cloud storage available for $3 a month with 60 days of storage
- No slot for a micro-SD card, requiring a subscription to the Protect Basic plan for cloud storage
- Lack of artificial intelligence for motion detection
With its excellent performance, durability, and ease of use, it is a perfect choice for anyone who wants to secure their home and keep an eye on their property at all times.
The Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus is an investment that is worth every penny, as it provides peace of mind and security to homeowners.
The motion detection capabilities of the device allow you to receive alerts on your smartphone or tablet whenever someone approaches your home. The device also features a no-drill mount, which makes installation quick and easy, eliminating the need for professional installation services.
The tamper-proof cover ensures that the device remains secure and protected against any tampering.
The Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus is also compatible with Alexa and the Ring app, which enhances the user experience. With Alexa, you can use voice commands to control the device, while the Ring app allows you to access all of the device’s features from your smartphone or tablet.
As a plus, the device comes with a chime kit compatibility list, making it easy to integrate the device with your existing doorbell system.
Overall, the Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus is a reliable and effective device that provides enhanced security and convenience to homeowners.
With its high-quality video, motion detection capabilities, easy installation, and compatibility with Alexa and the Ring app, the device offers a comprehensive solution for monitoring your front door.
Ring Video doorbell camera Comparison Table
Here is a concise comparison table of the top 3 Ring video doorbell cameras:
|Video Doorbell 4||Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen)||Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2|
|Compatible Networks||2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz||2.4 GHz||2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz|
|Field of view||160 degrees||160 degrees||150 degrees|
|Live View Available||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Operating Temperature||Weather Resistant||Weather Resistant||Weather Resistant|
|Power Options||battery or wired||Built-in battery or wired||Wired|
|Video Resolution||1080p HD||1080p HD||1536p HD+|
All Ring video doorbell cameras are compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple HomeKit, making them easy to integrate into your smart home setup.
Do You Need The Ring Chime For Your Ring Doorbell?
If you want to hear an audible alert when someone presses your Ring Video Doorbell Wired, you will need a Ring Chime. The Ring Chime is a separate device that connects to your home Wi-Fi network and emits a sound when the doorbell is pressed.
Without the Chime, you will not be able to hear the doorbell inside your home unless you connect it to an Amazon Echo device.
Ring recommends that you bypass any existing doorbell chime when setting up the Ring Video Doorbell Wired, so the Chime is necessary if you want an audible alert. There are two models of compatible chime available: the Ring Chime and the Ring Chime Pro, which also functions as a Wi-Fi extender.
What’s the difference between a Ring Doorbell and a Ring Doorbell with a chime?
A Ring Doorbell is a video doorbell that allows you to see, hear and speak to anyone at your door from your smartphone, tablet, or PC. It has motion detection, night vision, and two-way audio features.
On the other hand, a Ring Doorbell with a chime has an additional feature called Chime, which is a notification device that alerts you when someone presses the doorbell button or when motion is detected.
The main difference between the two is that the Ring Doorbell with chime has an added notification device, while the Ring Doorbell is just a video doorbell.
What should you consider when choosing a Ring video doorbell?
Quality of video and audio
A Ring video doorbell with high-quality video and audio is important for enhancing the user experience and improving home security.
The video quality is affected by camera resolution and field of view, while audio quality is impacted by microphone sensitivity.
For instance, a higher camera resolution allows for clearer images, while a wider field of view ensures more coverage. Similarly, a more sensitive microphone captures clearer audio recordings.
High-quality video and audio can enhance the user experience by allowing homeowners to see and hear visitors clearly. This is particularly useful when identifying potential intruders or package deliveries. Moreover, clear audio recordings of passersby, as offered by the Ring Pro, can also help in investigations.
In conclusion, a Ring video doorbell with high-quality video and audio is crucial for home security and user experience. By ensuring clear images and audio recordings, homeowners can easily identify visitors and potential threats.
Motion detection and alerts
Ring Video Doorbells use motion detection and alerts to enhance home security by providing real-time notifications when someone approaches your front door.
This feature allows homeowners to monitor their property and deter potential intruders. Here are some specific examples of how this feature can be customized to fit the homeowner’s needs:
- Adjustable motion zones: Ring Video Doorbells allow you to customize your motion zones, so you can choose which areas to monitor and how sensitive you want the motion detection to be. This feature helps reduce false alerts and saves battery life.
- 3D Motion Detection: The Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 features 3D Motion Detection, which uses radar to measure the distance of an object. This technology allows the camera to start recording only when someone is within your chosen range, providing better motion alerts and decreasing unnecessary notifications.
- Timely notifications: Ring Video Doorbells send real-time notifications to your smartphone or tablet when motion is detected. This feature allows you to monitor your property even when you’re not at home.
- Video recording: Ring Video Doorbells can record video when motion is detected, allowing you to review footage and identify potential threats. The Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 offers a higher resolution than the Ring Video Doorbell Wired, providing clearer and more detailed footage.
Overall, Ring Video Doorbells use motion detection and alerts to provide homeowners with a customizable and effective security solution.
By allowing you to monitor your property and receive real-time notifications, Ring Video Doorbells can help deter potential intruders and keep your home safe and secure.
Wi-Fi and range
The Ring Video Doorbell relies on a strong Wi-Fi signal to function properly. A poor Wi-Fi connection can lead to a decrease in the device’s performance and range, as it will need to transmit at a higher power to boost the Wi-Fi signal.
To ensure that your Ring Video Doorbell works efficiently, it is important to have a good Wi-Fi signal strength. This can be achieved by choosing a router with a strong signal and placing it in an area that is central to your home. Additionally, you can use Wi-Fi extenders to boost signal strength in areas where the signal is weak.
When choosing the right Wi-Fi and range specifications for your Ring Video Doorbell, it is important to consider the layout of your home and the speed of your internet connection.
A larger home with multiple floors may require a stronger Wi-Fi signal and a greater range to ensure that the device is able to function properly. Similarly, if you have a slower internet connection, you may need to choose a Ring Video Doorbell with a lower resolution to ensure that it can stream video without buffering.
In conclusion, a good Wi-Fi signal strength is essential for the proper functioning of the Ring Video Doorbell. To choose the right Wi-Fi and range specifications, it is important to consider the layout of your home and the speed of your internet connection.
By choosing a router with a strong signal, placing it in a central area, and using Wi-Fi extenders, you can ensure that your Ring Video Doorbell has a good Wi-Fi signal strength.
In addition, you should choose the right Ring Video Doorbell with the appropriate range and resolution based on the size of your home and internet connection speed. By following these tips, you can ensure that your Ring Video Doorbell works efficiently and effectively.
Security and privacy
When choosing a Ring video doorbell, it is important to consider the security and privacy features available. Ring employs AES encryption standards to secure user data, ensuring that all video footage and audio recordings are encrypted during transmission and storage. Ring utilizes two-factor authentication to prevent unauthorized access to user accounts.
To customize privacy settings, users can adjust the motion detection zones and sensitivity levels of the device, as well as enable privacy zones to exclude certain areas from recording. The device also includes a privacy button that can be pressed to disable audio and video recording temporarily.
In terms of security features, the Ring video doorbell includes motion detection, live view, and two-way talk capabilities. This allows users to monitor their homes remotely and communicate with visitors in real time.
The device also includes customizable motion zones and alerts, allowing users to receive notifications when motion is detected in specific areas.
Overall, the Ring video doorbell is an effective security solution for any home, providing both security and privacy features to ensure peace of mind for users.
Mounting and installation
Mounting and installation are important factors to consider when buying a Ring doorbell camera because they determine the coverage and effectiveness of the camera. Depending on the area at your front door, choosing the wrong field of view could limit how useful your video doorbell is.
If your front door is recessed, a flat-mounted doorbell with a narrower field of view is fine. But if you have a larger front porch or area you want your camera to cover, you might want to consider Ring doorbell options with mounting wedges or angle mounting.
Angle mounts allow the Ring doorbell to be mounted at an angle, rather than flushing it against the wall, which can be useful in situations where the doorbell is not mounted at a level surface, or where the view of the doorbell’s camera needs to be adjusted.
Installation can also be a factor to consider, as some Ring Video Doorbells are known for their easy installation and maintenance while others may require a bit more handiness or even professional installation.
Therefore, it is important to consider the mounting and installation options available when buying a Ring doorbell camera to ensure optimal camera coverage and effectiveness.
Ring Mobile app and connectivity
When choosing a Ring video doorbell, the mobile app and connectivity are crucial factors to consider. The Ring mobile app offers a range of features that enhance the functionality of the doorbell.
With the app, users can access a live video feed from their doorbell and communicate with visitors through two-way audio. This feature is particularly useful for those who are not at home but still want to monitor who is at their door.
The app allows for easy customization of settings, such as motion detection and notifications. Users can also access cloud storage for recorded footage, which is reasonably priced.
Strong connectivity is also essential for a seamless user experience. A reliable internet connection ensures that the video feed and two-way communication are smooth and uninterrupted.
Overall, the Ring mobile app and connectivity are crucial components of the Ring video doorbell system. They offer features that enhance the functionality of the doorbell and allow for easy customization of settings. Strong connectivity is also essential for a seamless user experience.
Smart Home Integration
Integrating a Ring video doorbell with your smart home system is a breeze. Not only does it provide excellent video quality and motion detection, but it also offers easy integration with the broad universe of Ring smart home products.
By integrating your Ring video doorbell with your smart home system, you can enjoy a range of benefits, including voice control of your doorbell, the ability to view your doorbell camera feed on your smart home device, and the ability to automate your home security system based on your doorbell’s motion detection.
Compatible smart home systems also offer additional features, such as setting up routines or scenes that activate when your doorbell detects motion or someone rings the bell.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to integrate your Ring video doorbell with your smart home system:
- Install the Ring video doorbell by following the simple wireless installation instructions.
- Download and install the Ring app on your smartphone.
- Open the Ring app and select the “Set Up a Device” option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to connect your Ring video doorbell to your home Wi-Fi network.
- Once your Ring video doorbell is connected, it will appear on the Ring app dashboard.
- To integrate your Ring video doorbell with your smart home system, select the “Works With Ring” option from the Ring app menu.
- From there, you can choose from a variety of compatible smart home systems, including Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple HomeKit.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to connect your Ring video doorbell to your chosen smart home system.
In summary, integrating your Ring video doorbell with your smart home system is an easy and seamless process that can offer you a range of benefits.
Simply follow the step-by-step instructions provided in the Ring app, choose your compatible smart home system, and enjoy the convenience and security that comes with having a Ring video doorbell integrated into your smart home.
A subscription to Ring video doorbell is not required, but it offers additional benefits to users who want to fully utilize their device. Here are some of the subscription plans available and their respective benefits:
- Basic Plan: The Basic Plan costs $3 per month or $30 per year and includes:
- Video recording for a single Ring device
- 60-day video history
- Two-way audio and live video streaming
- Customizable motion detection
- Plus Plan: The Plus Plan costs $10 per month or $100 per year and includes:
- Video recording for all Ring devices at one location
- 24/7 professional monitoring for Ring Alarm
- 60-day video history
- Two-way audio and live video streaming
- Customizable motion detection
- Protect Plan: The Protect Plan costs $20 per month or $200 per year and includes:
- Video recording for all Ring devices at one location
- 24/7 professional monitoring for Ring Alarm
- 60-day video history
- Two-way audio and live video streaming
- Customizable motion detection
- Extended warranty for all Ring devices at one location
- 10% discount on select Ring products
Features that are only available with a subscription include:
- Cloud storage for recorded videos: With a subscription, users can save and access recorded videos from their Ring device anytime, anywhere through cloud storage.
- Advanced motion detection: Subscribers can customize their device’s motion detection settings and receive advanced alerts for specific types of motion, such as people or vehicles.
- Professional monitoring: The Plus and Protect Plans offer 24/7 professional monitoring for Ring Alarm, which can alert emergency services in case of a break-in or other emergency.
In conclusion, while a subscription is not necessary for the basic operation of a Ring video doorbell, it offers users additional benefits such as cloud storage, advanced motion detection, and professional monitoring.
The subscription plans available cater to different needs and budgets, making it easy for users to choose the plan that’s right for them.
When it comes to choosing a Ring video doorbell, night vision is an important feature to consider. Night vision allows you to see who is at your door even in low-light or no-light conditions.
It works by using infrared technology to illuminate the area around your doorbell with invisible light that is not visible to the naked eye. The camera then captures the infrared light and translates it into a visible image.
Factors that can affect the performance of night vision include the distance between the camera and the subject, the amount of ambient light, and the camera’s resolution.
To ensure high-quality night vision, it is important to choose a camera with a high-resolution sensor and powerful infrared LEDs.
Two Ring video doorbell models that offer high-quality night vision are the Ring Video Doorbell Pro and the Ring Video Doorbell Elite. Both models feature infrared night vision, high-resolution sensors, and powerful LEDs.
The Video Doorbell Pro also offers customizable motion zones and advanced motion detection, while the Video Doorbell Elite comes with a flush mount design and professional installation.
How we test Ring video doorbells
To determine the best Ring video doorbells for consumers, our team conducts thorough testing using specific criteria. We begin by evaluating the temperature range, video quality, fields of view, audio, night vision, storage, smart platform integrations, and artificial intelligence of each camera. We use the same specs for our Necessary Features Test to ensure consistency across all products.
Our team also tests the app functionality by controlling both video doorbells through the Ring—Always Home app. We pay close attention to the app’s ease of use, reliability, and overall performance.
To conduct these tests, we use specialized equipment to measure temperature range and video quality. We also test the night vision capabilities in a dark room to evaluate the camera’s ability to capture clear footage in low-light conditions.
Thorough testing is crucial in determining the best Ring video doorbells for consumers in 2023. By using specific criteria and specialized equipment, we can provide accurate and reliable recommendations to assist consumers in making informed purchasing decisions.
Conclusion: Which version or model of the ring video doorbells is best?
In conclusion, Ring offers several video doorbell options to choose from, each with its own set of features, pros, and cons. For those looking for a basic video doorbell with live monitoring and two-way talk, the Ring Video Doorbell (2020 model or Wired version) is a good starting point.
The Ring Video Doorbell 4 is a middle-of-the-road option with some features for both basic and advanced users, but not necessarily the best value or features available. For those who want the best smart doorbell features, the Video Doorbell Pro 2 is unbeatable, especially with the option for end-to-end video encryption.
When it comes to choosing the best Ring video doorbell to buy, the decision ultimately depends on personal preferences and needs. If budget is a concern, the Ring Video Doorbell or Wired version is a good option.
However, for those who want the latest and greatest features, the Video Doorbell Pro 2 is the clear winner. It may be pricier, but the advanced features and added security make it worth the investment. Regardless of the model chosen, it’s important to consider the competition and do thorough research before making a decision.
Which Ring Doorbell is Best for Apartments?
The Ring Video Doorbell 3 is the best ring doorbell model suited for apartments. It is a wireless and battery-powered smart doorbell that is easy to install and has a solid 128 x 62 x 28 mm in size, making it perfect for apartments.
The doorbell comes with two faceplates so you can match your door color and has a removable battery that can be charged via USB or wire if you already have wired doorbells. Batteries can be purchased so you never have to miss a visit while your first battery charges.
The Ring Video Doorbell 3 also has customizable motion detection options to ensure you only receive alerts when necessary. Also, it is compatible with Alexa’s voice commands and stores all videos in the cloud for up to 30 days, which can be downloaded at any time.
Overall, the Ring Video Doorbell 3 is the perfect choice for apartment dwellers who want a reliable and easy-to-use video doorbell.
What kind of motion-sensing technology does Ring use?
Ring Video Doorbell Cameras use motion detection technology that starts recording when someone approaches your porch, even before they ring the doorbell. This feature can be annoying in apartment buildings with lots of people walking through the hallway.
With the Ring Peephole Cam, knock-sensing technology has been added to detect when someone is knocking on the door, sending an alert to your phone. This feature ensures that you get notified when someone knocks on your door, even if you turn off the motion detection feature.
What is a Ring Protect subscription?
A Ring Protect subscription is a service that provides additional benefits to users of Ring Video Doorbell Cameras. These benefits include access to cloud storage for recorded footage, 24/7 backup internet and extra data, and the ability to share videos with friends and family.
The subscription also provides access to exclusive features such as People Only Mode and Rich Notifications. Overall, a Ring Protect subscription enhances the user experience by providing greater peace of mind and more control over their home security.
How does Ring protect my privacy?
Ring takes user privacy very seriously and has implemented several features and policies to ensure it. For example, all Ring devices come with end-to-end encryption, which means that user data is encrypted at all times and can only be accessed by the user or authorized individuals.
Ring has implemented a number of privacy settings that allow users to control how their data is shared and used. For example, users can choose to opt out of sharing their data with third-party providers, and can also choose to delete their data at any time.
Ring also provides regular updates and notifications about any changes to their privacy policies, and has a dedicated team that is responsible for ensuring that user data is protected. Overall, Ring is committed to ensuring that user’s privacy is protected at all times.
Will my wired Ring doorbell still work if the power goes out?
If the power goes out, a wired Ring doorbell will not work unless it has a backup power option. Some Ring doorbells have small batteries that can keep them running for a few minutes during a power outage, but this is not a guaranteed feature for all models.
If you want to ensure that your Ring doorbell has backup power, you can purchase an AC power adapter, which can be used to supply continuous power to the doorbell. Ring sells its own power adapter, as do other brands like Nest, and there are also generic options available.
However, it’s important to note that using an AC power adapter may require some additional installation work, as it involves connecting the adapter to an electrical outlet near the doorbell. Additionally, if your home experiences frequent power outages, a wired Ring doorbell may not be the best option for you.
Does Ring Doorbell have a monthly fee?
No, Ring Video Doorbell does not require a monthly fee, but it does offer optional subscription plans that provide additional features.
Here’s how it works:
- Ring Video Doorbell allows you to see and speak with visitors at your door through your smartphone or tablet.
- You can receive real-time alerts when someone is at your door, even if you’re not at home.
- The basic features of the Ring Video Doorbell, including live video streaming, two-way talk, and motion-activated alerts, are available without a monthly fee.
- However, if you want to access additional features like video recording and storage, you can subscribe to Ring Protect plans, which start at $3/month.
- Ring Protect plans also provide other benefits, such as extended warranties and discounts on future purchases.
Which is better Ring Doorbell or Ring Doorbell 2?
The Ring Doorbell and Ring Doorbell 2 are both popular choices for home security, but there are some key differences between the two models. Here’s a quick breakdown:
- 720p HD video resolution
- 180-degree field of view
- Requires a wired power source
- No removable battery
- Interchangeable faceplates
- Basic motion detection
- Live view available
Ring Doorbell 2:
- 1080p HD video resolution
- 160-degree field of view
- Can be powered by battery or wired power source
- Removable battery pack
- Interchangeable faceplates
- Advanced motion detection
- Live view available
Overall, the Ring Doorbell 2 is the better option for buyers due to its higher video resolution, wider field of view, flexible power options, and advanced motion detection.
However, if you have an existing wired power source and don’t need the extra features, the original Ring Doorbell may be a more affordable choice.
How long does a Ring doorbell battery last?
Ring doorbells come with built-in rechargeable batteries that can last anywhere from six months to over a year on a single charge, depending on usage and model.
The Ring Video Doorbell 2 and 3, for instance, have a battery life of six to twelve months, while the Ring Video Doorbell Pro can last up to a year.
Factors that may affect battery life include the frequency of usage, motion detection settings, and the distance between the doorbell and the Wi-Fi router. T
o improve battery life, Ring recommends reducing motion detection sensitivity, disabling features such as live view, and ensuring the doorbell is connected to a strong Wi-Fi signal.
What is the best battery-powered ring doorbell to buy?
If you are looking for the best battery-powered Ring doorbell, the Ring Video Doorbell 4 is a great option. This doorbell offers clear video and audio and can be powered either by mains or a battery.
It has a pre-roll feature that records four seconds of video before motion detection is activated, and this feature is in color, unlike its predecessor. The doorbell covers a 160-degree field of view and records Full HD footage. With a Ring Protect subscription, you can access all of the smart features, including reviewing missed alerts.
The doorbell also has full Amazon Alexa integration, allowing you to converse with the person at your door through a smart speaker. However, it does not work with Google Assistant and HomeKit. Overall, the Ring Video Doorbell 4 is a great choice for a battery-powered video doorbell.